Civil Services (Preliminary) 2013 will be conducted on 19th May 2013 and the last date for submission of the application is 4th March 2013. Civil services (Main) 2013 will be held on 8th November 2013 and application forms are available in the official website http://www.upsc.gov.in/. Civil Services are considered the most rewarding career and only a few deserving candidates are placed. The Government of India has fixed salary grades for Civil Servants and adding to this civil servants receive various allowances such as Dearness Allowance, City compensatory Allowance, Leave Travel Allowance, Medical and subsidized housing.
Civil Services include All India Services, Group A Services and Group B services.
All India services
1) Indian Administrative Service(IAS)
2) Indian Foreign service(IFS)
3) Indian Police Service(IPS)
Group A Services
1) Indian Postal Service
2) Indian Civil Accounts Service
3) Indian Railway Traffic Service
4) Indian Audit and Accounts Service
5) Indian Customs and Central Excise Service
6) Indian Defence Accounts Service
7) Indian Revenue Service
8) Indian Ordnance Factories Service
9) Indian Railway Accounts Service
10) Indian Railway Personnel Service
11) Posts of Assistant Security Officer in Railway Protection Force
12) Indian Defence Estates Service
13) Indian Information Service
14) Indian P & T Accounts & Finance Service
Group B Services
1) Railway Board Secretariat Service
2) Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service
3) Customs Appraisers’ Service
4) Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service and Police Service
5) Pondicherry Civil Service
Civil Services Examination – How to apply?
Applicants have only one option and that is applying online at http://www.upsc.gov.in/. Detailed information on filling the application forms is available in the official website. A maximum of 4 attempts is permitted to every candidate and 7 for those belonging to other backward classes.
Civil Services 2013 (Preliminary) – Eligibility Criteria
1) Age Limit- 21-30 years as on 1st August 2013.
2) Degree from a recognized university or equivalent
Scheme of Civil Services 2013 (Preliminary Examination)
The Preliminary examination consists of two papers of objective type with multiple choice questions. The question papers are set in English and Hindi. The examination carries a maximum of 400 marks.
1) General Studies Paper -1: 200 Marks
2) General Studies Paper 2: 200 Marks
Only candidates who clear the preliminary examination are eligible to take up the main examination.
Scheme of Civil Services 2013 (Main Examination)
Paper -1 One of the Indian Languages to be selected out of 18 languages included in the constitution. 300 marks
Paper 2 English(Qualifying paper) 300 marks
Paper 3 Essay 200 marks
Paper 4 & 5 General Studies (300 marks for each paper) 600 marks
Paper 6, 7, 8 and 9 Any two optional subjects(each having 2 papers) from the prescribed list(300 marks of each paper) 1200 marks
Candidates who clear the main examination have to attend a interview (Personality test) which will be scheduled by the UPSC cell.
Civil Services 2012 Results
Civil Services 2012 Results are announced by the Union Public Service Commission and candidates who are declared successful in the written examination will be detailed for a interview as scheduled by the UPSC.